Tuesday, March 16, 2004

What do I look like, a Nuclear Physicist?

drove home very slowly in the snowiness tonight... hoping something good would be on NPR... it was an interview with Physicist, Brian Green, about his String Theory and how the math indicates that there may be 10 dimensions, not just the measly 3 that we can perceive. I felt like I was high, in a bathtub with Donald Sutherland, Boon, & Katy, contemplating the existence of other universes under our own fingernails. Oooh.

Additionally, shouldn't a braniac math-wizz physicist have a better name than Brian Green? How can that compete with an I'm-very-quirky-but-super-intelligent name like Albert Einstein? All I could picture was Brian Austin Green (of Beverly Hills 90210 fame), throwing on a nerdy pair of glasses and singing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" to communicate his theories on the creation of the universe.

At the end of the interview, I felt slightly more intelligent (I know, the opposite of what one might think would happen when listening to a physicist explain a new theory)... but I felt good that I could follow his thought process. Which means, Brian Green is really good at talking to the less-intellectually-fortunate without making them feel like they should be wearing a helmet to work.

So when I got home, I looked up the NPR show and linked through to The Official String Theory Web Site and was pleasantly surprised to see that the man is blessed with more than just good intelligence genes, he's handsome too. Let me consult my quantum physics equations to determine the odds of getting superior intelligence, ability to relate to common folk, and handsome all in one man. Its a 1 in 2,398,746,899.27 chance.

No comments: