Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Wake me Up When I'm Skinny

It's not new, I've heard it before, sleep affects your weight. But the new research spells it out a bit more. When you're sleep deprived your body makes more of the hormone that makes you want to eat and less of the one that tells you to stop eating. It also makes you want to eat all the crap that you didn't sleep long enough to dream about... Krispy Kremes, lasagna, Butterfingers, Big Gulps...

If sleep were the key to eating less, I should have been emaciated on those summer vacations when I stayed up until 2am watching tv but then slept until 3pm - getting up just in time to see Blackie & Jackie go at it General Hospital. Unfortunately, I was still a chubby girl exposed to a few too many late night cable movies.

So basically, I've tried the Stay in Bed all Day Diet (SO ahead of my time) and it didn't work. Because, realistically, you only have to be awake for an hour to down a box of Fruity Pebbles, some pop tarts, some leftover pizza of which you ate most of the night before and wash everything down with a few pepsis... and appetite has little to do with those food choices, while instant gratification and tastebud extacy do.

No comments: