Sunday, October 28, 2007

Finally bought the Jessica Seinfeld book, Deceptively Delicious, with recipes for sneaking veggies into your kids food. I got one for my sis too as my niece refuses anything that might possibly be remotely healthy.

As for me, Lauren is good about eating her veggies - I, however, am not. Which means I am not good at planning food that includes veggies. And while we're being honest here, I'm really not good at planning food period.

So I need to get on the stick, get organized, have recipes, make meals ahead of time - all the things I worried about as to why I'd be a bad parent (that and the not sleeping in part - but it turns out Lauren is a late sleeper - thank you God).

I'm really good at loving her until she (or I) can't breathe. I'm really good at outfitting her in cute clothes. I'm really good about making sure she is warm and safe. I'm really good about reading her books, limiting tv to about nothing (hence the reason I have to squeeze my tv watching in to the hours after 8pm) and singing to her. I am patient, nurturing, encouraging, and calm...

but the food thing is needing work, and soon - she grows so damn fast...

I am, so far, good about getting her fruit and veggies in the form of pureed baby food or cooked frozen veggies, but I now need to get good at family meals. Hubby needs to get good too. I am hoping this book will help - if nothing else, the cover is adorable and just looking at it will inspire me to do better.

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

i heard about this when she was on the oprah show and i fell in love! it looks fantastic and i agree, it is a cute cover. how freaken cute is jessica seinfeld?! enjoy tina!

Anonymous said...

hey Tina, I have learned to get good at this...but it takes time. I usually spend a hour or two Saturday night looking at recipes and making out a grocery list for Sunday morning. Then I also spend most of Sunday making food for the week. It is worth it though when we don't have to think about food for the week.
ab

Tina said...

Good plan Ab, probably better to spend chunks of time on the weekend rather than every week night - plus Lauren is so hungry when she gets home, she doesn't want to wait for food prep!!

Anonymous said...

I love veggies, but my husband is all meat-and-potatoes. Over time, and with lots of tried-and-failed recipes, he has expanded his palate and also trusts me to pick out recipes that will probably taste good to him. I might sound like Jenny here with her love of all things Martha, but try her Everyday Food magazine if you haven't. Lots of simple, yummy, family-friendly recipes. She also has one recipe every month that you make in a double batch to eat one and freeze one for later. I also love a blog called A Veggie Venture, she has hundreds of recipes.