Friday, December 28, 2007

The Magic of Writing it Down


While driving around last weekend doing some last minute shopping, I heard a story on NPR about making lists. It featured Sasha Cagen, who has written, To-Do List: From Buying Milk to Finding a Soulmate, What Our Lists Reveal About Us (based on her To-Do List blog).

Jenny does this alot (writes lists but not about finding her soul mate - she found him years ago!). She writes lists in her hipster-pda -> gifts given, gifts received, movies to see, appointments, etc. She also collects "found" grocery lists, which I never realized could be so fascinating!

My Mom used to write lists alot - mostly little quick notes on tiny pieces of paper. I saved many of these notes, I love looking back and imagining what she was thinking. One of particular note, she carried around with her a list of animal baby names - kangaroo - joey, skunk - kit.

I've done lists in fits and spurts, but in '08, I'm going to be all about the lists.

I am going to start with lists of major things to do:

- plan (and make) meals
- finalize the decor of Lauren's room
- donate 50% of my wardrobe
- use reusable bags more often than not
- eat more vegetables
- clean the basement
- blog more
- write lists

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've just started making goals for 2008 too! I'm hoping this year will be accomplishing.

I've been eyeing that book for awhile now. Looks neat!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Blogging more!

Anonymous said...

Sasha Cagen will be hosting a To-Do List Slam
on January 10th at Red Hill Books on Cortland in San Francisco. www.dogearedbooks.com/redhill

Should be totally fun. We're bringing our lists and checking out everyone elses at least twice!